I remember making caramel popcorn at my aunt’s house as a kid and how much of a treat my sisters and I always thought it was. However, I do remember it being a big process but so worth it in the end. Well, maybe it was just because I was a kid with no patience but I decided I really wanted to try this with my kiddos. So glad I did…it’s not a long process at all! So easy in fact I would make it every day of the week…if my waste would allow it! Lol This is something I do not have the willpower to say no too. Needless to say…you will see at the end of my blog post here that after my family and I got our bellies full of caramel popcorn, I bagged it up and distributed it to the neighbors. They were super appreciative!!
Below is how I made mine…scroll down for the recipe! Enjoy!!!
This is all the ingredients you need!!! Pretty much pantry staples. I even have a big popcorn machine in my basement that I order popcorn from a movie theater popcorn supplier but didn’t even use it! I remembered (since my son is in Cub Scouts) that I had an unlimited supply of microwave popcorn! This is about 4 bags here (Approx. 4 cups per bag = 16 cups). You can also use an air-popper to make it or even on your stove top! If you do it this way…use about 1/2 cup of kernels to equal 16 cups.
Mix all the ingredients in a pan and boil for 4 minutes…without stirring!
It really bubbles up…but don’t stir!
Pour boiled mixture over your popcorn and mix well. I did this in 3 shifts. I poured 1/3 of my popcorn in another empty bowl and poured 1/3 of the caramel mixture over the popcorn. Stirred it all around until it was completely coated. Poured the coated popcorn onto a foil (or parchment) lined cookie sheet. Then repeated those steps 2 more times until all my popcorn was coated and spread out evenly on the cookie sheet. Then you can sprinkle with some more salt.
Now it’s ready to go in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes stirring every 10 minutes.
Oh My Goodness…need I say more! Spread out on a lined counter and break into pieces to cool.
Ready to dig in…WARNING…HIGHLY ADDICTIVE!!
All bagged up and ready to be distributed to neighbors!
See Detailed Nutrition Info on
- ½ cup unpopped popcorn kernels (about 16 cups popped corn)
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- 1½ - 2 tsp kosher or sea salt, divided
- Preheat oven to 300°
- Line a large baking sheet with foil, parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
- Pop popcorn in microwave, using air popper or stove top and pour into a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan melt butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and 1 tsp salt together over medium heat. Bring to boil. Boil for 4 minutes without stirring.
- Pour caramel mixture over popcorn and stir to coat evenly.
- Pour popcorn into lined pan, sprinkle remaining salt on top (1/2 tsp - 1 tsp depending on your personal taste preference) and place in oven. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Allow popcorn to cool on a parchment lined counter.
You can add in 2 cups of nuts to the popcorn before you coat it... if desired! Then coat with caramel.
>>Back to Recipes